Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Beginning of the End

As if "the unexpected" hadn't already taken its toll enough, Thursday's pre-chemo appointment presented even more surprises. With my bloodwork done, I was met once again my one of the cancer centre nurses, who asked, yet again, if I could stay today to receive my final chemo treatment instead of coming in tomorrow. There was a possibility of another storm tomorrow and they had lots of chairs available today. An exact repeat of last week? I think so. But, yet, I was not surprised. I was becoming used to things happening exactly how I did NOT expect them to. After waiting all week for chemo, and wanting to see the end of it all more than ever, I now accepted the offer with open arms. If my cell counts are high enough, I will happily do my last treatment today.

Sure enough, my cell counts were now at a satisfactory level and the doctor gave the 'go ahead' for me to receive treatment a day early. Thursday, February 1st. The beginning of the end.

Everything happened quickly from then. I receieved the chemo as I always did, this time partially alone, however, as Mike and my family tried to hurry in at the last minute, not knowing that I would be receiving chemo that day. I spent the first hour or so alone, but it wasn't so bad. All that filled my mind were thoughts of the future and how this day was essential for me to finally move on. All I could picture was teaching, socialiazing, exercising, moving into my new apartment with Mike, and doing normal everyday things that I used to do. At this point I could bear whatever came to me in order to get all of those things back.

Soon enough I was heading home once again to deal with the brutal effects of the poison which dwelled within me for the past few months ... for the last time.

No comments: