Saturday, February 03, 2007

Chemo 4 (My final treatment!!!)

So far the fourth treatment has been the easiest to deal with. The first day (Thursday) was the hardest, unlike past treatments. I spent most of the evening feeling nauseous and unwell and ended the night with a bout of vomiting. Friday I decided to take it as easy as possible and spent most of the day in bed resting. I ate as much as I could and drank a glass of water each hour. I experienced some mild periods of nausea, but nothing I couldn't handle. The worst part of the day was a serious splitting headache which, at the time, I labelled to be the worst headache I ever had. I took some Tylenol and lay a cold cloth over my forehead and within an hour or so it had eased up significantly.

Today is day #3 and the symptoms have been very bearable. I woke up to a delicious breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, orange juice, and fruit, which Mike made for me. The breakfast got me off to a great start and I found myself able to get up and clean the kitchen and my bedroom, get a shower, and go out for a drive. This was a major leap in comparison to the third day of all previous treatments. The afternoon was, very thankfully, passed quite quickly. The faster I can get this overwith, the better.

I'm not sure why this treatment seems to be more well tolerated than others. Perhaps my body is building a tolerance for the drug. Perhaps it is my mindset. I have also come up with the theory that perhaps vomiting on the first day, rather than prolonging it, helped a little. Forcing myself to drink water every hour must also be helping to flush and cleanse my body.

So far, so good ... let's cross our fingers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope for the best Mel, i'll see you in a few weeks,

-Jamie