Thursday, October 26, 2006

Knowledge and Support ... my new armour

Aside from trying to return to normal life the best I could, I also used some other tools to assist me in moving on and gaining strength. One of these tools was knowledge. Knowledge became power for me. I began reading and researching. I read hours each day about every nick and cranny of breast cancer. I read about other cancers, about cancer in young adults, about risk factors, and alternative therapies. I read and read and read. I can remember that one night I even read the entire "A Patient's Guide to Breast Cancer" book that I once dreaded in one three-hour sitting. I discovered that the more I learned about the disease, the more confident and empowered I felt. One warning, however: use the internet with caution. The internet is an amazing resource if you use it properly. If you are using it to research a disease that you or a loved one has, you should be sure that you are collecting accurate information (i.e. I found sites like The Canadian Cancer Society site and other national cancer research sites to be the most reliable and accurate). So, just beware of what you read!

Another important tool was my unbeatable support system. I soaked up all the positive things people had to say and used them to my advantage. I reminded myself of all the beautiful people I had to fight for. Most importantly, I talked to these people about each and everything that was on my mind. This gave me a chance to sort out my thoughts, vent, and get feedback. I have to thank Mike and Alyson mainly for letting me talk for hours on end day in and day out about breast cancer, all the things I learned, and all my thoughts about it. I really needed it! And finally, knowing that so many people are thinking about me and praying for me gives me a sense of strength and confidence (remember the power of human good!).

With all of these weapons by my side, the battle became easier by the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom survived cancer when I was only 16. Given the fact my dad & brother were dealing with their own emotional problems, I had to face it basically by myself. We survived, and Mom & I developed a better relationship.
God has dark and scary ways sometimes.