Friday, October 19, 2007

On the road again ...

On August 1st, Mike and I headed out of Sydney on our way to the experience of a lifetime. In all actuality, I had no idea what to expect upon arriving to the camp. What I was sure of, however, was that I was going to get to spend four full days with a bunch of people in the same boat as myself. And, this was something I felt I needed. I would finally get to talk to people who really knew what it was like to go through this, who I could really relate to, and, most importantly, who I could draw things from. This would no doubt be an amazing learning experience. I was also told that there would be a psychologist, an oncologist, and various other professionals at the camp that would lead workshops related to issues surrounding young adults with cancer diagnoses.

We were to first meet up with the entire group at a hotel located at the airport in the afternoon of August 2nd. The hotel is where all the retreaters would be introduced and board the bus that would take us approximately 1 hour outside Montreal to Camp Maromac. When Mike and I first arrived to the hotel we were greeted by many smiling faces and introductions. The psychologist, Tim, and the oncologist, Rob Routledge, were standing at the door to greet us and made us feel completely at home. As we made our way through the room to find a seat, the 20 or so odd people in the room all made it a point to smile and introduce themselves to us. It was almost like coming home. I knew I was now a member of an elite group that had a very unique bond, and this could be felt all around me.


After filling out some forms and meeting everyone, we all loaded up the bus and headed to Camp Maromac. Everyone laughed and talked the entire way and there was an intense feeling of excitement radiating from every seat. I knew this weekend would be a special one.


No comments: