Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A change of luck

One day in mid-June I was browsing one of the websites I commonly visit: http://www.realtimecancer.org/
This site is home to an organization called RealTime Cancer-- a community of young cancer survivors. If you would like to read more about RealTime Cancer, see my previous post Realtime Cancer. I noticed that the folks at Realtime were organizing a retreat for young cancer survivors in August. The retreats are a way for survivors between the ages of 18 and 35 and their supporters (who also have to be under 35) to come together and "share their shit" in a very inviting atmosphere. This year it was to take place at the beautiful Camp Maromac just outside of Montreal. This sounds very intriguing. I read a little about what happens at the retreat and I knew right away that it was something I would benefit greatly from. But, I brushed the ideas that were brewing in my mind off quickly because, although the retreat itself is paid for by Realtime Cancer, retreaters were responsible for travel expenses to the retreat. This was something I definitely could not afford at the time.

At my next appointment with the social worker, I mentioned the retreat that was happening in Montreal very briefly and he immediately opened a keen ear to the prospective experience. He agreed that this would be something that both Mike and I could definitely benefit from. He told me that he would look into getting us funding to go. I was so excited. Maybe my luck was changing!

The following week, Tom (the social worker) informed me that a group called "Tits and Glitz," which raises money to assist breast cancer patients with medical and cancer-related expenses, agreed to donate $800 for Mike and I to travel to the retreat in Montreal. I felt so grateful to be offered this experienced and I finally felt that there were people who understood that being a young adult dealing with cancer is a unique experience and that there is little support for us out there.

No comments: