Wednesday, January 10, 2007

An answer anyone?

The doctor later returned with what I had hoped would be some answers. No such luck. She said that all my bloodwork came back normal, my vitals were all normal (besides a slightly low blood pressure reading, which they say is normal for someone my age and size), and my bloodcell counts were all good. She could not figure out what could have caused the "spell," besides a possible reaction to the Neupogen shot (and there are no known reactions as such to Neupogen) or a reaction to one of the other medications I was on.

The doctor said she would feel more comfortable if I stayed in the hospital overnight so they could keep a close eye on me and then contact Dr. MacCormick in the morning, since he would have a better idea of the medications I am on and what possibly could have caused the weird occurence. She also decided to feed me some fluids through an IV to get my pressure up and to replace any of the fluids I lost through the crazy vomiting that had recently occured.

I lay in the hospital bed all night wondering what happened to me. Why me? As if chemotherapy isn't hard enough! I was able to sleep for a few hours and was interrupted at around 7am by the doctor, who was now on her way home. She said that she was shocked that I had not yet peed, since I had been receiving high rates of fluids through IV for the past 6 hours. She said this told her that my body was "dry to the bone." She would not be satisfied with letting me go from the hospital until I peed (and got in touch with Dr. MacCormick).

By 8am I finally felt the urge to use the washroom. The nurses all celebrated (I guess they had been waiting for me to pee all night) and began calling Dr. MacCormick to arrange a time for me to see him. After another two hours, they finally got in touch with him-- he told them to have me come into the hospital in Sydney at 3pm to have my Neupogen shot. He wanted a chemo nurse to give it to me and then monitor me to see if it could possibly have been a reaction to the shot I had taken just a half hour before the "spell." Although I really did not believe that this is what happened, I agreed to come into the hospital, mainly because I wanted to know what was going on and that it wouldn't happen again.

No comments: