Friday, December 08, 2006

Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

The aftermath of the new 'do' took a little getting used to. I decided that I enjoyed the extreme change in looks and wanted to take advantage of it while I could. Afterall, the little locks that now laid atop my head would soon be trickling out (or more like pouring out) and I would soon be left with none at all. May as well enjoy having hair while I can, even if it is only about a half an inch long.

With that in mind, I decided to go about my normal life sporting the new do. I went shopping, visited with friends, and went to an appointment at the hospital showing off the buzz cut. The more I looked at it, the more I like it. On the other hand, the more I went out in public with it, the more I didn't want to! I felt people's eyes glued to me everywhere I went. Sometimes I was able to go about my business and ignore it. One day this was not so. I guess I wasn't in the best of moods this day, and I decided to go out shopping. The stares were becoming unbearable to me. I just wanted to do my own thing and let other people do the same. I found that people's interest in my looks was very frusturating and I was forced to pack it up and head home.

I was ensured by my family and friends that people were not staring because they thought I had cancer. They ensured me that I did not look like I had cancer-- I look completely healthy and beautiful. People just weren't used to seeing women with hair that short. My dad ensured me that I am just being sensitive and people probably aren't looking at me any more than they usually do-- I am just thinking about it more. And, of course, I have to remind myself that I am living in Cape Breton-- home of the nosey. I am not used to being in a small town anymore. I was getting very used to living in cities where no one cares what you look like. People do their own things and let you do yours. It's not like that here, however, and it is taking some major adjusting for me.

After that day, I took some time to reflect on the situation and it became an important learning experience for me. The major thing I realized was that if I am comfortable with the way I look (which I certainly am ... and was when I went out shopping that day) that is all that should matter. Why should I spend any effort worrying if other people like the way I look? When you consider all the effort we put into caring what other people think, you really come to the realization that it is nothing but a waste. If you are comfortable with yourself and confident in yourself, that is all you need to shine.

With those thoughts, I decided to continue with my life as I had. I continued shopping, going out with friends, and attending my appointments with my cute little 'buzz cut.'


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

No comments: