Sunday, May 18, 2008

~On Taking the Plunge!






Back in January, I was approached by the Saint John Arts Centre to be a part of their "Carnegie Concert Series." Each year they have a series of 4-5 concerts over the span of a few months in the name of the man who founded the arts centre. A previous professor of mine (who has heard me play several times and who happens to be the Vice President of their Board of Directors) suggested me as a possible feature artist. So they invited me to hold a concert (playing classical piano) in April.


At first I was very hesitant to agree. It had been an area of my training that I had rediculously neglected since I graduated (especially since being diagnosed with breast cancer). I worried that I wasn't able to play to my previous ability and wondered if I could actually pull off preparing for and performing at a full concert, after not having performed or prepared that large a repertoire of music in over two years. Then I also thought that this could be a great chance to get back into performing before its too late. It would give me that drive and motivation I needed to dive back in ... I needed something to work towards.

In the end I decided to take a leap forward and, after far too much thinking, I agreed to jump on board. I thought up a unique concert that would utilise my biggest strengths: teaching and music. I decided to hold a sort of survey of keyboard music, from the Baroque period to the Modern Period, where I would introduce each piece (telling some things about the era, what was going on at the time, who wrote the piece, what it was about) and then play the piece. I thought this would be an excellent way to draw the audience into the classical music experience and come to understand and enjoy it. I hired someone to do the "speaking" part of the concert and prepared the following pieces:

~J.S. Bach: Aria from Goldberg Variations
~Joseph Haydn: Sonata No.60 in C major, Hob.XVI/50 (Allegro and Adagio)
~Franz Schubert: Impromptu Op.90 No.3 in G flat Major
~Bela Bartok: 6 Romanian Folk Dances
~Linda Smith: Zart

I worked my buns off for four months--practising everyday, making arrangements, writing introductions to the pieces, and driving to Saint John weekly to practise on the grand piano. At times I felt like there was no way I was going to be able to do it. The amount of pieces I was preparing was overwhelming and it was like diving back in at 100% full force right off the bat! Although overwhelming, however, I did it! I managed to have the pieces perfectly prepared (and most of them memorized) by the April 12th date. I showed up, I played, and I got a standing ovation! CBC plugged the concert on their Saturday morning show, which I thought was awesome! Sometimes I would sit back and think ... wow ... I can't believe I've come all this way. And when it was all over and done with, I could only sit back and be proud of what I accomplished.

A portion of my musicians fee as well as profits from the bar were donated to the Canadian Cancer Society (some will be donated through my Relay for Life team, which I'll talk about in another post!).

The concert went so well, that I am seriously considering doing it at the Savoy Theatre in late June, and in Fredericton in the summer. Feel free to email for more details.

Thanks to the Glace Bay Gleaner for doing a 2-page interview about me and the concert in their April issue. Click here to read the article:



Here are some concert photos:
"Make Your Life a Mission, Not an Intermission." ~Arnold H. Glasgow

No comments: