Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"Here" and there ...

As I've been mentioning throughout my posts, cancer in younger adults (i.e. 35 and under) is less common, but is presenting itself more and more as time goes by. Since I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I have been approached by numerous young people who have also been diagnosed with breast and other cancers over the past few years. This is becoming an issue, so we need to do what we can to nip it in the bud.

I think its great that young people like myself offer up their stories to other young people who are experiencing a diagnosis with cancer or even another disease. Such a diagnosis at such a tender age can be an extremely difficult thing to handle. And, although it is nice to be approached by older women who have or have had a diagnosis, we also need to hear from people our own age who have gone through similar experiences. It can feel very lonely going through something like this as such a young age and can often seem like we're the only ones.

It was great for me to hear from Kim Reid, a highschool buddy, a couple days after arriving home from the hospital in September. Kim is the same age as me (a day in age difference) and was also diagnosed with breast cancer almost exactly a year earlier than me, at age 24. Kim had been through very similar experiences as me and had also gone through the gruelling chemotherapy and radiation battle. She showed up at my doorstep one afternoon and we chatted for hours about our situations. I have to say that it felt amazing to have someone my own age who knew what it was like to be going through what I was going through.

Kim has recently done an interview with Here Magazine in Fredericton, New Brunswick, about her journey with breast cancer. She has agreed to allow me to post the address to an online version of the article for you to read. Kim will also be appearing on Much Music's "Music is My Life" series at the end of November. This will be a half hour show on Kim's battle with breast cancer and how music helped her through her treatments. It is mainly filmed in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, where we both currently live. So check out the Here article and the Music is My Life Episode if you are interested in hearing other young people's stories about battling cancer.

Here Magazine: "Finding the Strength to Fight"
Much Music: Music is My Life (Kim will be appearing on Nov. 26, 2006)

If you have a story or a blog that you'd like me to link on this website, I'd be more than happy! Just let me know by leaving a comment on this post or by sending me an email!


No comments: