Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Reflections

Now that I think back to that hospital stay, I realize it wasn't all that bad. Of course I was in pain--I had just been sliced open and had body parts removed. Of course there were many discomforts and scary procedures-- this was something I had never experienced before. It was foreign, untrodded territory. I now look at it all as a learning experience. Because of the short-term suffering I overcame, I am now prepared to deal with many more cicumstances than I wasn't before. Pain is weakness leaving the body. I see this phrase in a number of ways. The most important meaning I take from this is that when you experience pain like this you become stronger and ready to deal with more of life's battles. The weaknesses you once had are now diminished.

When I was staying in the hospital I also learned a great deal about the nature of human beings. There are some really good people out there, and you really realize it when you're down and out. I know I already spoke about Patrice, Craig, and Dr.Butler. But I will say it one last time. These people went above and beyond for me. This wasn't because of false intentions or alterior motives-- they did it because they are kind people who care about the well-being of other human beings. I believe we all have this in us-- its a genuine human good and an innate care we have for one another. I should add that while I was in the hospital (Tuesday), Patrice came by with a gift and a card for me while she was off-duty. Need I say more?

Even besides the healthcare professionals who saved my life and my sanity, there were many people who went above and beyond for me while I was in the hospital:

My mom--she was there first thing in the morning and stayed until 10 at night. She gave me more care than I ever could have imagined receiving-- bringing me food, helping me to get around, washing me, bringing me things. I never could have done it without her. Again I will say that my mother is a completely selfless person and deserves a great deal of respect for it. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to stay in the hospital without any family or friends around for help and support. My mother says its not like it used to be in the hospital these days. You barely see a nurse after your first day or two in there--except when they need to do the essentials (like give you medication or check your vitals). I could die alone in my hospital bed and no one know for hours on end. Getting back to my list ...

My dad--my dad got kidney stones just after I arrived home from Korea and was suffering the entire time I was in the hospital (he was in and out of the hospital himself). Nonetheless, he stuck it out and managed to be there for me the entire time I was in the hospital. He is my intellectual and mental support system (always has been) and has a great deal to do with the strength of mind that got me through it all.

Michael- Michael, Michael, Michael. What a guy. I never EVER could have asked for a better person to share my life with. Michael was there for me since day one and continued to be during my entire hospital stay. He got a new job while I was in the hospital, but still managed to be there 5 or 6 hours a day to give me all the TLC and support he could. He is my emotional support system 100% and I love him to death for it.

My grandmother (Carrie)- she sat at home for 24 hours each day thinking about me and praying for my progress. She is my spiritual support. She took an order from me daily while I was in the hospital and delivered gourmet meals to me with care. All the nurses would come in to see what delicious meals I would have today. Thank goodness I didn't have to eat the hospital food (I could write whole seperate blog on that)!

So many more people helped me get through that ordeal by visiting, calling, sending cards and gifts, and doing other thoughtful things for me: you all know who you are and I plan to do a complete seperate blog to thank you for all the little things you did that together made a BIG difference.

I don't ever wish to have to go back into the hospital but I do realize that if I ever have to it will be much easier. I also have the comfort of knowing that I have one of the most amazing support systems out there, and I can make it through anything with these people behind me. We are in this together and with the common force of human good behind me I feel like I can conquer anything.

No comments: